This section assumes that you are using the Xubuntu development environment that was built in this document. If using other environment, you will have to adapt the commands/paths accordingly.
- Run the following commands:
sudo apt-get install curl -y
sudo curl -sL https://deb.nodesource.com/setup_4.x |
sudo -E bash –
install -y nodejs
Note: for Enterprise Linux and Fedora Linux distributions (OEL, RH, etc.)
sudo su –
curl –silent –location https://rpm.nodesource.com/setup_4.x |
sudo yum -y install nodejs
- Confirm Node is installed by typing node –version
For more information refer to https://nodejs.org/en/download/package-manager/
Test your NodeJS envionrment using Nikolay Anastasov’s Web Chat
- Inside your Xubuntu environment open the browser and go to: http://tutorialzine.com/2014/03/nodejs-private-webchat/
- Download the Web Chat demo, by clicking on the blue “Download” button
Feel free to read the instructions on the page.
- Create a directory called “nodejs-private-webchat” – Then unzip the demo that you downloaded into this directory
Make sure you are inside the directory “nodejs-private-webchat“. Then, install the Web Chat dependencies using NPM:
This will install 4 dependencies indicated in package.json (ejs, express, gravatar and socket.io)
Make sure it completes successfully.
Then run the main app.js
It will start the Web Chat Application running on port 8080
Then open 1 browser and go to: http://%5Byour _IP]:8080
This should open a page where you can create a new private room:
- Enter your Name and your email address.
|Note: This Web Chat uses Gravatar in order to show your photo associated with your email. If you still don’t have a Gravatar account, create one! So that this Web Chat and plenty of other places your selected photo can be displayed, instead of an anonymous “grey avatar”.
In order to create a new Gravatar account go to: https://en.gravatar.com/ – If you Already have a WordPress account, you can use that one to log in. Otherwise you can create a new account.
- You should see that a new Private chat has been created for you and someone you invite.
- Send the provided link to start chatting.
- Once another person joins your private chat, the two of you should be able to start chatting.